Are you trying to lose weight in your stomach, but feeling frustrated because you can’t get your lower abdominal muscles trained? This is a common concern among people looking for fitness center services in Phoenix, AZ. The good news is that once you learn how to tweak your fitness routine, you’ll start to see the results you want in no time. Check out these lower abdomen exercises that train the whole body while getting you closer to that flat, taut stomach you want.
While Phoenix, Arizona has its fair share of mountains to hike and climb, that’s not what you’ll be doing with this lower ab exercise. The mountain climber exercise is a staple in group fitness classes in Phoenix, AZ, because it works. Here’s how you do this exercise:
- Start in a high plank position
- Once you’re steady and strong, lift one foot off the floor and draw the knee to your chest
- Return the foot and repeat on the opposite side
- To get a feel for the exercise start off doing 1 or 2 repetitions slowly, and then switch to quick, alternating repetitions.
- This lower ab exercise is another one you’ll find lots of people doing at your club fitness center in Phoenix, AZ. To do this exercise with ease, all you need is a towel (or ask your fitness center if they have sliders). Place the sliders or towel under your toes and proceed as follows:
- Start in the same high plank position as you did with the mountain climber exercise
- Next, squeeze your lower abs and use them to bring your feet toward your hands and lift your hips into a pike position
- Once you’re in this position, slowly push your feet back out to the starting position
Some people find that it’s easier to begin this exercise moving one leg at a time. Play around with both variations to find the one that works best for you.
Straight Leg Raise
Another lower ab exercise you’ll find people doing at Mountainside Fitness in Phoenix, AZ, is the straight leg raise. Some people use a flat bench for this exercise, but most people choose to lie on their backs on a mat. Whichever is most comfortable for you is fine. Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Lie on your back with your arms and hands at your sides
- Slowly raise your legs until they are perpendicular to the mat
- Lower your legs and repeat
- It seems like a straightforward exercise, but when done with intention, it’s a powerful lower abdomen exercise that gets results.
The best way to get great lower abdomen results is to train these muscles regularly, be consistent. Unlike other muscle groups, the abdominal muscles don’t need a day of recovery. To learn more about how to train your abs, contact Mountainside Fitness and ask about our trainer options and group classes that focus on abdominal training.